Tuesday, July 6, 2010

why i love metro (today)

1) dozens of faces stretching upwards to find a draft from the air conditioning like flowers to the sun

2) sitting down hard on the handrail of a seat. it's a pain like no other.

3) unintentional (?) molestation before 9am

4) excellent upper arm conditioning when standing and holding onto a hand rail

5) catching the gaze of a stranger and then awkwardly trying to avoid looking at them for the rest of the ride. it's impossible not to meet eyes again.

6) when sitting in a backwards facing seat, i can close my eyes and feel like i'm on the backwards-facing car on thunder road at carowinds (especially if the conductor is new at steering the thing)

7) the hand sanitizing industry should love me. i shudder to think about what all has touched the various poles, rails, and handles.

and despite all this, i do have one complaint from the day: please, sir-sitting-behind-me, could you refrain from trimming your fingernails on public transportation? i'd hate to go home and comb your clippings out of my hair, thanks. (i guess, though, it's really no different from the droves of mexican women who use spoons to curl their eyelashes on the train. me, i save my hygiene and cosmetology for home.)

and on a completely unrelated note, why i love my candidacy mentor:

"Whitney, not only do you have a low interest in caring for others, as your interest inventory demonstrated, your psychological assessment confirms you also have a flagrant disregard for the plight of human suffering. Congratulations.”


he envisions great things for me. (and that's as yet a joke about my psych eval--i'm not taking it until next week.)

No comments: