Sunday, September 7, 2008

thoughts i've been thinking

some things i figured out this week:

--i'm not sure if a job within a church is where i see myself long-term (which is not ruling out ministry in every capacity)

--i don't think i want to go to grad school or seminary for any type of educational ministry degree

--combining the above two realizations, i think my place within children's ministry in the future will continue to be volunteer-based.

Those were helpful things to realize. They aren't set in stone, but just things I needed to admit to myself as I think about where I'm headed

Also found a Christian grad school in Virginia Beach with a masters in journalism. In case you haven't been able to keep tabs on my multiple career-path changes over the last four years, I entered Carolina as a journalism major--and it's still an interest of mine. It's actually been haunting me over the last month or so (as the job-deprived hysteria set in) that I let go of such a practical major, one in which I had talent and experience, and coming from such a prestigious School of Journalism as Carolina's. No looking back though. Still, I'd love to write as a career, ideally I'd love to work for a Christian publication or publishing company. If I could COMMIT to a career path, earn this degree and hone a specific skill for a specific field, I think I'd be able to get a job that I could excel in and improve in and use my talents to serve the Lord. Again, it's definitely just an option at this point. Obviously I'd have to think about GRE prep and applications before too long, but I don't want to jump the gun. This is something floating around out there as a next-step possibility, something to ponder and pray about.

By the way--the school is Regent College. Anyone know anything about it?

Both of my for-right-now jobs get under way tomorrow! Wow--my first full day in awhile! I'm anticipating things will get a little busier in the weeks to come, but I also feel pretty confident that my life won't regress to the schedule of a Carolina student--as in, full speed ahead from sunup to well past sundown everyday. And I want to use this (relative) downtime to its full benefit. Thinking, praying. Growing closer to God & learning more about myself. Then, when I am ready to move on to what's next, maybe for the first time in a long time I can really trust & know that I'm headed in the right direction.

I'll let you know how my kiddies are, and how things go at the bookstore!

No comments: