Sunday, November 9, 2008

regent

as some of you may know, this past weekend i took a big step in contemplating my future. i went to visit the campus of Regent University in Virginia Beach. i discovered this school online while i was searching for a master's program in Christian journalism or something along those lines. what i got was a Christian school offering a MA in Journalism. i have been exceedingly excited about this prospect since i discovered this little gem of a program, but i was somewhat apprehensive about the weekend--what if it just didn't fit? didn't feel right? if that was the case, as far as next year goes, i was afraid i'd be back to square one.

as it turns out, my fears were unfounded. Regent is an absolutely beautiful school with an extremely solid Christian foundation. The campus is only a fraction of the size of UNC, but still evokes a sense of academia and scholarly fellowship. It feels like a college--as opposed to, for instance, my visit to Gordon-Conwell Seminary a year and a half ago. I was super-pumped to visit this school at the time, having heard numerous good things about it. And what could have been a cozy little nook of seminary goodness nestled in the countryside just north of Boston, turned out to be a disappointing, two-building, middle-of-nowhere "campus" that just didn't have that "it" factor for me.

and wow! Regent is a Christian school! not once in my life (if we can discount Sunday School and VBS from the list) have I participated in a faith-based educational institute. i've been a public school kid from kindergarten through undergrad. i wouldn't trade in any of my secular school experiences if i could go back and do it again, but it was really awesome to experience the integration of faith with academics. how radically different from undergrad--my faith practice was strong at Carolina, but it was still a world separate and of it itself. At Regent this weekend, I entered into a room full of people all investigating academic pursuits, and before we settled in for a session of financial aid chatter, we worshiped. together. not just the IVers gathered for Thursday night--but everyone on the campus. Being a part of the secular world is extremely important, but i think i'm ready to experience this kind of Christian-immersion atmosphere, and see where it takes me on my faith journey.

so the pieces are all in place, but i'm hesitant now because of the field of journalism itself. it is ever moving towards the web, towards all things digital. one of the professors told us at an information session, no longer is journalism made up of clark kents, running to the Daily News to file a story. it's all about "interactive media"

but what if I want to be a Clark Kent?

coincidentally, while we were getting ready in our hotel room on the second day of the weekend, the morning news ran a short feature about journalism jobs--and how print journalists just aren't in demand anymore. not too encouraging. or perhaps a nudge from the Lord that this may not be the direction He wants me to move next.

and, after crying out to Him one night last week--speak, Lord! speak, for your servant is listening!--I found a program at CIU that led me to start considering the possibility of teaching Bible at the secondary level. another swerve at the wheel, i know. but the future is still wide open and there's so much out there i could do or explore--so many options to test and eventually discover down which one of those paths my talents and my passions meet and allow me to impact people for the glory of God.

so if you see that road sign, let me know.

while I thank God for providing Regent as a really solid option for next year, still yet I cry out to Him, "speak, for your servant is listening!" Where do I go from here? What's the next step?

ever-listening. ever-trusting. trying to listen better, trying to trust more.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

CIU?

Please tell me that's not Columbia International University... that's the only CIU I know!

Whitney said...

pray tell, what are your grave misgivings about Columbia International? I only went over to check out their website because a) I talked with them at Urbana, b) I hear a lot of ads for the school on our local radio. I haven't looked much past the programs they offer as of late.

Candler SOT at Emory and (dare I say it) Dook are two other possibilities, mainly because they're Methodist-oriented. Any suggestions from the seminary student herself? ;)

elisabeth said...

DON'T SAY DOOK =(

(but I'll love you anyways.)

Unknown said...

Ha, sorry for being so negative! I really am not as well informed as I pretend to be.

My bias: I used to date this fundie that was in love with CIU. And so I judge the school based on the people that like it. My understanding is it's not the best academically and considerably more conservative than myself... I doubt they're affirming of women in ministry, and I know from looking at their website that they believe in inerrancy (though most evangelical schools do--so you can't hardly fault them for that... I just do anyway... lol).

Eh, so... it's not my favorite place in the world.

But I also don't know anyone who's gone there and was impressed by the lack of super-radical-conservative things on their website. ;o)

Oh wow, shoot. I just went to wikipedia though. Check this out:

"CIU holds to a goal of spiritual formation in preparation for life after college. Students are required to sign a covenant form agreeing to keep various lifestyle standards established by the university. Some of the standards include forbidding students from viewing R-rated movies and prohibition from alcohol and tobacco. During a semester all students are required to fill out “accountability forms” and report to Student Life.Though not required during summer and winter breaks, students are expected to maintain CIU lifestyle standards.

The standards have been a point of contention for many years; while many students express frustration, the administration defends the standards and cites that those who fail to keep their word regarding standards lack integrity. While not actively publicized, a complete handbook is available for viewing at [1].

In the spring semester of 2007, one of the most contentious standards, the "physical expression of affection" standard (dating couples may not hold hands or kiss, but may only hug briefly) was revised to allow for more freedom of physical expressions (couples dating seriously are now allowed to hold hands and kiss briefly)."

Additionally, if you don't sign their doctrinal statement at the end of you studies, you can't graduate? Ok, I'm not expecting you to be unable to sign it, but seriously... that just doesn't seem like the most intellectually open environment.

Ummm... so yeah. Check out Candler or Dook or even Gordon-Conwell (which I decided was too conservative for me)... but CIU gets a no vote from me. Take it for what it's worth. ;o)

Whitney said...

yikes that sounds a little too Bob-Jones-esque to me. I'm actually meeting with my pastor tomorrow, and I trust his opinion very much--so I'll see where he stands on CIU. thanks for all your info Ash!

I actually visited the campus of Gordon-Conwell a couple of years ago and it just didn't have that 'it' factor for me. My pastor also recommended Princeton T-S, which looks pretty good so far!

Unknown said...

Another place I think is good is North Park. It's with the smaller Evangelical Covenant denom which fully supports women and likes multi-ethnicity and social justice... yet otherwise seems pretty much like most other evangelical denoms. They are in Chicago.

Fuller, Duke, and North Park were on my short list in that order.

I would be excited to hear about your experience at Princeton or pretty much anywhere--yay for potential seminary friends! and yay that the majority of the people I know going are WOMEN! :-D