Tuesday, December 9, 2008

non sequitur


i did it! my first singing christmas tree was an absolute blast! the show went super well--i made some great friends, got to ham it up dancing on stage for the first time in three years, and i sang my little heart out :) but, shocker--on Sunday morning at church, after a week of full-time rehearsals for the show, i actually didn't feel like singing. i reached my capacity--never thought i would see the day. now everything is back to normal though and i went right back to humming christmas songs with my kids and singing along with david crowder at the top of my lungs while washing dishes in the empty house.

but speaking of Sunday morning, i just have to tell you what a joy my little Sunday schoolers were this week. i had all girls--4th and 5th grade. 3 out of 5 of them introduced themselves by saying, "my name is so-and-so, and I'm in love with Joe Jonas." the other two responded with, "I'm so-and-so" and I hate the Jonas brothers." ahh, to be young and in love ;) all joking aside though, these kids absolutely blow me away with their depth of understanding and their sincerity. one second they're drawing hearts on their arms around the name 'Joe' and rambling on with some non sequitur story, and the next they're asking questions like, "why do we get presents on Christmas if it's Jesus's birthday?" and "sometimes I just don't know if I can believe everything about God, is that okay?" aren't they awesome? these kids haven't been just coming to Sunday school & doodling on their ditto sheets of Jesus each week, they're actually absorbing some of it, wrestling with it, starting to believe it. isn't it beautiful to see the fruits of ministry?

on a lighter note, my list of pop cultural things to catch up on lengthens: Dora the Explorer for my preschoolers and now the Jonas Brothers for my Sunday schoolers. neither group really talks about much else...

i am caught up on one thing, however. confession: if it were possible to scarf down a novel, i just did it this week with Twilight. I told myself I wouldn't read that book, but I finally got too curious and man, it sucked me in. even better, my sister is going to further indulge me by accompanying me to the movie. so be warned before you open it: it will cost you a few hours of sleep time, $10 for the movie ticket, and God knows how much emotional scarring. As if we weren't having enough trouble finding the perfect man beforehand, now he has to be a vampire... ;)

No comments: