Monday, March 23, 2009

dried apricots

as i sit savoring a cup of tea and favorite snack of apricots (back in my pantry after a noted absence), life itself has been just as sweet.

last night, our attendance was doubled at youth group! we had a great, great night--one of the best since i've been on board, and ironically so because i planned it the afternoon of. which is not at all like me. i guess spontaneity wins the day. originally i was going to plan an ice cream social to welcome our new youth leader, but then my pastor said in two emails and once out loud in church that she would be leading youth Sunday night. i thought she was just super eager to dive in--but when another youth volunteer and i got mixed messages, we asked our pastor if she was, in fact, leading on her very first day on the job, and he said "i have no idea." insert forehead slap here. but all ends well, because i did fall back on the ice cream party, planned a few icebreaker games that turned out quite well, and ended the evening with a prayer of welcome and dodgeball-esque game.

so besides the fact that the YMCA closing staff man (and by man i do mean man--at least 10 or 15 years older than me) tried to get my digits, it was a great night. i'm excited about the enthusiasm of our kids, and will take it as a good sign that our new leader as bolstered attendance by her mere presence. we can only move onwards and upwards!

----

I've been reading Romans for my b-stud, and it is as refreshing as the spring breeze or as a glass of sweet tea on a hot day. Sorry for the cheesy metaphors, but I think you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I love the Gospels (we've been reading straight through the NT), though admittedly I've had enough Acts for awhile--but the poetry of the epistles! The theology! I could journal for pages and pages in reflection over one verse. It's lovely.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a happy and exciting thing to hear about your life. :-D