Wednesday, January 7, 2009

piecemeal

the wind is blowing through the trees in my backyard so violently that i feel somewhat compelled to yell "Dorothy, Dorothy" before heading off to the storm cellar. or maybe, as i'm sitting here on my bed looking out the window, i should just prepare myself for a flight through the sky and a run-in with a very nasty witch. it might be nice to escape from kansas for a little while.

i was hired for a babysitting job today! through the efforts of some wonderful women with my church, i basically got the shoo-in for this twice-a-week sitting. the hours will be perfect, 2 to 6. the children are three (as are my preschoolers) and eight months. seeing as how the three-year old girl latched onto my leg when i was about to leave, and then proceeded to throw a fit when her mother unclamped her arms, i'm guessing that she likes me :D wouldn't it be nice if all relationships were so easily initiated? though it's only two afternoons each week, i feel like this job is an answer to prayer and will probably be a good deal more enjoyable than retail anyway.

last night after zumba a girl approached me in the locker room & said i looked familiar. i had been thinking the same thing about her, and we figured out that we went to church together when we were young. it just struck me as oddly fasciniating that after years of growing and maturing, our faces still bear enough of a resemblance to our childhood selves that we can be recognized. i mean, it's probably been close to 10 years since i would have seen this girl, and she wasn't even one of my closest friends at church. memory is an amazing thing, is it not?

my application to Duke Div School (I can use the alternate spelling for Dook when referring to the div school, I've decided) is due this Saturday, and ironically, I'm not stressing about my essays or test scores, or even the fact that, yes, this is Dook I'm applying to, but arghahgah, one of my recommendations isn't yet in. I haven't heard from this professor since Dec. 1, when he agreed to write a letter for me. I've called & emailed and just don't know what else to do. It's making me super worried, and though I'm trying to be at peace about it (because what good does worrying do me?), I can't help it. If this letter isn't in, my hopes for merit scholarships are out, since this is the final deadline for consideration. And I probably won't even go to Dook (even though it is a really really great div school) because I want to venture outside of the Triangle for this next portion of my schooling. But still. I want to have my options open, and I don't want to have wasted the time & energy of my other four recommenders. Gah. Sorry, I needed to vent some of that out. Any possible suggestions?

we're discussing Job in b-stud tonight (yes, the WHOLE book). hmm, what can i pick a fight over? i'm dying for some drama, and hopefully Job will be chock-full of it. the idea of a heavenly council? perhaps to start, but i'm guessing the questions of divine justice and innocent suffering should be enough for us to pull the gloves off and writhe around in some controversy. sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i definitely want to hear about any Job controversy that might ensue. phone date soon?