Thursday, February 12, 2009

the latest

i'll go ahead & state the obvious: way to go Heels! there is nothing much better in the world of sports that beating the dookies. and i don't think that will change even if i end up attending grad school and become, at least partially, a dookie myself (shudder).

speaking of grad school, i haven't heard back from anywhere else besides candler. that's probably best, because i know the decision will complicate itself rapidly. and i already have plenty to think about: i've been studying up on the ordination process over the last week. my pastor gave me a little United Methodist-endorsed book about ministry possibilities, including the ordination process. it was neat to look through the book & ponder all the career opportunities that were suggested. i'm leaning towards sticking with lay ministry, which was my initial intent. still, i'm going to follow my pastor's advice and begin the inquiry process, because i'm not going to shut the door on this myself when God may still yet be calling me to ordination. but right now, that's not where i'm headed. i know that i can do a whole lot of good ministry as a laywoman. and i don't really like the idea of a bishop or a conference having control over where i can work and where i can live (though the job security is a big perk, without question). the problem is, i start questioning whether i really should be applying for an MDiv, since the goal of the degree is usually ordained ministry. it doesn't have to be, but that's how this whole thing started--at Duke the admissions director made it seem like an oddity to earn an MDiv without ordination. so i'm going to move forward & see where God leads me. every day, i pray "Lord, in the ways I serve you today, give me the discernment to know what you would have me do for my life's work." and i know that prayer will be answered.

as i write this right now, i'm waiting on a call (i think...) from princeton seminary--an interview for the MDiv/MA dual program. that would be a really sweet program to undergo because it pretty much caters to exactly what i want to do. we'll see if they call..a specific time wasn't set, so i'm just keeping my afternoon open & impressing myself with my lack of anxiety.

this weekend--singing in a valentine's day concert, while simultaneously supporting the whole anti-valentine movement. my hot date on saturday night? i'll be with not one, but two boys. they're three and one. we'll probably drink apple juice & watch dora the explorer before an early bedtime.

i did, in fact, receive several boxed chocolates and one long-stemmed red rose from my bevy of preschool admirers. so i guess valentine's day this year isn't a total wash...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have several friends at school getting an MDiv/MSW..I"m pretty sure only one of them is planning on getting ordained, the others work as chaplains or at faith-based organizations (like IFC and homeless shelters and such), or run youth groups. So, only one of them is planning to have a traditional ordination. And they went to Duke.

Good luck figuring it all out!

Anonymous said...

there's no other way that I'd love to spend my valentine's day. i'm jealous. :)

and with MDiv, I know that there are several people in the MDiv program at Mars Hill (which I may or may not be doing now... hmmm) who have no plans to be ordained... or even to go into formal ministry. One of the women that I met wants to eventually own a theatre company, which doesn't fall under the traditional umbrella of ministry, but Mars Hill is big on seeing just about everything in our lives as ministry. So it's not uncommon to see people who do the MDiv program and never get ordained. There was an MDiv alumni that talked to us who now works for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. So there are lots of possibilities. One of the MDiv students told me that I would just have to go into the program knowing that I probably wouldn't be coming out ordained (although, it could happen), and try and taylor my studies to what it is that I might want to do, not letting myself get frustrated that it is so heavily focused on ordination. Just some thoughts for you. :)

Anonymous said...

and by "taylor" i mean "tailor" haha