Saturday, February 21, 2009

stepping forward

sooo, it's been a big week! i'm glad to finally have a minute to step back and take it all in. this morning i did a bit of volunteering at a habitat for humanity house, and it wore me out! so i feel that my current respite, complete with pajamas & bed, is justified...and it gives me a chance to catch up on blogging.

my latest news: i've been accepted to both Duke & BU! I am absolutely thrilled! I was babysitting yesterday & got a phone call from both admissions offices within an hour of each other. BU also let me know that I am being considered for merit scholarships there, & will find out more about that decision in the next couple of weeks. Of course, I also have the Emory scholarship interview in a little over a week--so maybe I'll have a real basis for decision-making in the near future.

the other bighead line of my week: i've been offered another part-time job! and it is TOTALLY and COMPLETELY a God-thing. Here's why: my pastor asked me to step in as temporary youth director. (We're currently searching for a more permanent youth leader, and another young woman has been doing the interim work for a few months, but she is unable to continue).

Now if you know me and/or have been reading this blog since its inception, you know that youth work is a little scary for me right now. Because I ran away from it (for lack of a more appropriate term) this past summer & that decision, though the right one, sent my life into a spiral. And I'm still reeling from it. But I believe that God has ordained this job opportunity for "such a time as this"--I really do. He's prepared to redeem me from the stigma I've associated with youth work. I have an ideal situation with a church family with which I am well acquainted. God is ready to heal me, once & for all, from the unwarranted shame & sense of failure I feel from my situation in Kentucky. This is an act of redemption, and a call to faith--because I am at once terrified and thrilled. I am not, however, hesitant--the moment I opened my ears to what God had to say about this, I had confirmation.

This is also an exciting bridge to my future--this summer I am hoping to work for an urban ministry organization that hosts youth groups in week-long domestic mission trips (the final big part of my week--I officially submitted my application for this position). Also, I don't doubt that this job will be an extremely eye-opening experience for ministry preparation in general, as I prepare to begin work on an MDiv. Culminating the past, anticipating the future--like I said, a job for "such a time as this."

Though it's always true, it's beautiful when we get these glimpses of how intricately involved God is in each of our lives. He orders each of our experiences, opportunities, thoughts, fears, hopes (etc) to allow us to glorify Him and follow His will. What an amazing God we serve, who ever cared to love us and know us.

No comments: