Tuesday, April 28, 2009

matthew 25:35

i met Jesus on the street today
and i've finally learned
how NOT to turn away.
"Ma'am, can you help me out?
I need some change.
I'm pregnant and I haven't eaten
in two days."
we walked together to the corner store
but there our eyes met no more.
she grabbed some chips,
a drink or two;
i easily paid what was due.
i gave her the change from my five,
touched her arm and said,
"good luck with your child."
i added as we parted ways,
"i'll pray for you,"
and i turned away.
as i crossed the street into the church
i thought, how will that heal the hurt?
my heart, i believe
was in the right place--
but is this how i should treat Jesus
face-to-face?
it felt rushed, it felt trite...
but God was still there.
He's making me into someone
who does actually care
about the faces on the street,
those of His own,
so i can say with much praise
that my love for the poor--
the meek, the forgotten--
has grown.
still i felt shaken up
as i walked in to praise
the God who has poured
so much blessing on all my days.
"what can i do, Lord?
how can i be
the same Jesus to these people
as they are Him to me?"
i thank God that He's brought me
from where i have been
and also that He's working on me
until i find perfection in Him.
as i left the service tonight
He gave me one more chance
to love a brother on the street,
to give more than a glance.
a soda was all he asked of me there,
and i happily smiled, saying,
"i've got change to spare."
but this time as we walked
to that same corner store
i asked his name, took his hand--
loved a bit more.
one dollar oh-six was all his drink cost
but i saw in His eyes
the man on the cross.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved reading this poem, Whitney! I wrote a really similar one a couple years ago, and I thought it was neat to see how we both have processed through some of these similar issues... I'm still working them out!

http://ashleighrebecca.blogspot.com/2006/03/rita.html