Sunday, April 5, 2009

palm sunday paradox

This morning I attended Palm Sunday service at Chapel Hill Bible Church. Isn't this one of our favorite church days, when we get to sing "Hosanna" and smile as little children process through the sanctuary waving their branches?

Well, there were no children bearing branches at CHBC this morning, but lots of" hosannas." I love this word-save now! But as I lifted my voice, surrounded by three of my dearest friends, in a sanctuary that felt like home, I was overwhelmed by the irony of this celebration. And suddenly I don't truly understand it.

I mean, I get it--it's Biblical. straight from the Bible--waving branches & singing praises. all we need is a donkey. and Jesus is the One we call upon to save us.

but, we also know the end of the story. it's as familiar as the celebration itself--those same people who so cheerfully welcomed Jesus to Jerusalem on Sunday were shouting "crucify" by Friday.

so are we supposed to be truly jubilant on Palm Sunday? because today I felt like we were part of a sham. like--oh yea, Jesus, here we are singing your praises. but our sins are going to nail you to that cross in just a few days. so remember the smiles on our faces.

i mean, is that the point? are we supposed to be cognizant of the fact that we ourselves are hypocrites, as were the Jews during that first Holy Week? That we cry "Savior" in one minute and indulge in sin after sin in the next? I've never considered Palm Sunday in that context before. And within that frame of mind, I wasn't sure whether I should be celebrating or mourning.

But Sunday is coming. Hallelujah.

----

So just when I was gaining some closure and accepting the fact that undergrad has ended & my Chapel Hill days are but a fond memory, today I walked around campus in the beautiful spring weather, having spent time with many of my very closest friends, with national championship hysteria hanging in the air. And I longed to still be there. I guess UNC will never not be a part of me.

No comments: