Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lenten Writing Project: Day 1

Two years. It has been two years since I've written a post for this blog. That's not to say that I haven't been writing elsewhere--seminary papers, lesson plans, guest blog posts here and there. But I have not been writing in a disciplined way--in the way that I know feeds my soul and unlocks that hidden creativity buried deep within me. I have not been writing in the way that I know connects me to myself and to God.

Recently I sat down with a friend and he (like many others of you) was kind enough to listen to my rantings and ravings about some stuff I've been wrestling with lately--vocational questions in nature, primarily. One of the helpful things he said to me, pointedly, was this: "What do you love? Make a list of the things that you love to do, and use that to figure out what you should be doing vocationally." I started to make a list aloud right then, and one of the first things I said (if not THE first) was that I love to write.

I love to write and I just haven't been doing it. I lost some of it in the madness of seminary. Lately, I've been losing motivation to do much of anything creative or productive as a byproduct of the rut of lethargy into which I've recently dug myself (again, related to my vocational drama--details on this to come). And if I'm honest with myself, I know I've also stopped writing because for me, writing necessarily involves an intimate examination of the self, which necessarily includes an examination of the self's spiritual well-being. I've been shying away from that kind of introspection and self-care, I know I have---intentionally and subconsciously. So when my friend suggested to me that I consider writing as a Lenten practice, the thought excited me and challenged me at once.

So here I am, on Ash Wednesday, reopening this outlet--this blog--that captured so much of myself in my year after college and my first year or two of seminary. I am here to write again. I'm not sure what I can promise you to expect. I'm committing to 40 days of writing. I think you'll hear about my students, my vocational woes, my church and my budding part time work as Children's Minister--faults and all. Some things will be lighthearted, others serious. Some posts will be long, and others short At least once a week, I plan to write a reflection on a lectionary passage from the week. On Sundays, the "off" days of Lent, I think I'll re-post an old blog entry or paper to see if any new conversations or revelations might be had from revisiting past musings. Some days I may just pose a question, and hope that there are readers out there willing to respond and engage. Because as much as writing is a practice of self-reflection, I think it is also very much a tool for collaboration and discussion--a medium for communicating ideas and sharing perspectives. An opportunity to challenge and be challenged. For this reason, I also plan to publicize my posts on facebook--as self-aggrandizing as that feels to me!--in the hopes of fostering more conversation.

So this is it--day 1. A cop out of sorts, as I am just introducing my Lenten project. I've got to ease myself back into the deeper, self-reflective and soul-baring thoughts This is my Lenten journey--a pilgrim's walk into the labyrinth of the self, knowing that God, too, will likely be found along the way.

4 comments:

Ashleigh B said...

Whitney, I am so looking forward to this! I was just thinking of you the other day and checked to see if you'd blogged recently even though I thought you'd stopped, and I was genuinely bummed. I'm excited to hear about your life, including your vocational questions, since I've been wrestling with similar questions myself. And also because I really wish we lived close by... I could really use a female seminary grad friend in my present life! But since we can't get coffee regularly, your blog sounds like a decent consolation prize. :-)

Whitney said...

So glad you're on board, Ashleigh :) It's always nice to know you have at least one reader! I agree that reading one another's blogs doesn't quite come close to coffee dates, but it's a good place to start. I hope you're well! I want to meet your little man someday soon!!!

Ashleigh B said...

I would love that! Jeremiah actually applied to Emory (among other places), but we don't know anything for-sure yet and may not until April. It'd be need to live near you again! :-)

Ashleigh B said...

neat, not need... Sorry, I'm tired! ;-)