Monday, June 23, 2008

the return of the chain letter

My house-mate Ashleigh tagged me in her blog, requesting my participation in what seems to be a blogger chain letter :) Here's the rules:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Here's seven things you may not know about me (or you may know them all...depending on who you are....) Anyway, here we go!

  1. I am left-handed. I think that's pretty cool. I guess other people don't though, because they forget all the time and freak out when I pick up my pen or fork or something with my left hand. Even though being left-handed makes you super special, it does come with its inconveniences--namely around-the-house gadgets that most right-handed people would take for granted as being shaped for their use. Us lefties know how these things are made--just ask me after I've dropped spaghetti from the one-sided pasta spoon or added rather than removed lint from clothing.
  2. Growing up, I was something of a jack-of-all-trades. And I've come to decide this was a good thing--I wasn't awesome at any one activity, but I dabbled in several. I played soccer--always on the field as defense, rarely scored the goals. I swam during the summer, and let's not even go there on my one season of softball (ironically, it was my use of a non-leftie glove that may have been my downfall....) I LOVED being on stage, but was never the star. I played the flute for 4 years, but never made first-chair. I took four years of Latin, 3 semesters of French, and 2 months of Spanish immersion--and don't remember much of any of it (that's really bad, I know). But I won't call myself average, but cultured.
  3. My (new) favorite movie is Stardust. I really think you should see it. It is so unexpectedly good and has a great cast. My (old) favorite movie is still Singing in the Rain. I shouldn't even need to tell you to see that--it is fabulous. I have a copy, if you need to borrow :)
  4. I have really terrible eyesight. As in, I've only met one person my age whose eyes were worst. My contact prescription: -6.0 for the left eye and -4.0 for the right. At least i get to wear cute glasses and I look forward to the possibility of laser surgery someday (though the price quotes online make me think I'll have to sell my firstborn to afford it...)
  5. I love going snow-skiing! Even just sitting here typing about it makes me want to go RIGHT NOW! (slightly problematic since it is June) My parents taught us in the mighty mountains of NC when I was about 7 and my little brother was only 3! We ditched the ski-wee class almost immediately and instead my dad would put us (one at a time!) between his skis and hold us under the arms, guiding us down the slopes. Now we try to go at least once a season, & I am enjoying finally being good enough to hang with my dad (though my brother is another story entirely--he leaves everyone in his dust). I haven't been out west, but it is a trip I want to make very much!
  6. I am in the process of "learning" guitar--a process that has been renewed this summer by my roommate Amanda's mutual interest. I spent a lot of time last summer teaching myself chords and working through worship songs. I wish I could really develop a skill for it because it would be an awesome ministry tool! Actually, as I was sitting in church this past Sunday, I envisioned how great it would be for me to be able to just sit down at a piano and start pounding away at a worship song, or picking up a guitar and leading a group in some impromptu worship. Then I remembered that God blesses us all in different ways--he gives us each specific gifts so we can work as a body. I can't and won't be able to do everything, as much as I would like to pursue my development of musical ministry. As it is, I use the time I spend playing as personal worship for the Lord. It's one of the very few times I actually interact with God in worship fully within the "audience of one" mindset. That's pretty cool, even if I stink at playing.
  7. I am a choir dork. Not counting children's choir at church back in the day, I first sang in a real choir in eighth grade--and I didn't even sign up for the class. Call it fate, but ever since then I have sang in a competitive or touring choir. I haven't missed one year or semester--I really love it. I'm a second soprano--a high singer who gets to sing the harmony (the interesting stuff, usually!) I've gotten to sing in Handel's Messiah, Beethoven's Ninth, Braham's Requiem, and have toured to NYC, Atlanta, and Charleston. I may have to take a break now that I'm moving to Kentucky and away from glee club at UNC (which has it's ups and downs...). I don't know if I could make it without singing--which is why I've already looked into a community choir in Lexington :)
Whew, okay, that's me in a nutshell. Here's the people I'm tagging, you should check out their blogs because they're all amazing friends with amazing stories!

1. My summer roomie Amanda
2. My friend Kristen who is moving to Boston shortly for her first official year as an IV staffer!
3. My former co-leader and dearest friend Rachel, whose blog is witty, poignant, and all-around brilliant just like she is.
4. My friend and fellow UNC 08 grade, Michelle, who has just moved to DC!
5. My roommate from my summer in Mexico, Ann, who is moving with her (new) husband Drew to Bolivia.
6. My small group leader from freshman year at Carolina, Emily, who moved to Boston from NC this past year.
7. My friend and fellow STIMmer Sherri, who has spent the past year in Bangok, Thailand.

No comments: